A Tale of Two Cities

Here is a record of my wanderings around London and Paris, just in case you wanted to know what I was up to on the other side of the Atlantic . . .

Sunday, July 10, 2005

Ah, Sunday.

No class today, so I got to get up late-- 8:00-- get dressed hurriedly, and take the tube down to church. I went to All Soul's this morning, and absolutely loved it. It is church of England, although not the high-church incense type you might expect. I didn't get to look at the outside much as I was frantically hurrying from the Underground station, but it stands just at a bend in Regent Street, so that it looks like it's in the middle of the road. It's a huge grey building with a tall steeple-- just what a London church should look like. Inside it was magnificent, all white and gold, with gilded Corinthian columns around the sides.

The service was good too--more informal than I expected, and very comfortable. We sang a couple of songs that I knew, and the sermon was excellent, on how we fit into the love of God in eternity past and the glory of Christ in eternity future. The preacher had a great accent too.

I fairly ran from the church back to the tube stop to try and make it back to St James' park at 11 for another field trip. I was a little late, but got in all right-- this time, we went to see the "Living Museum," which was an outdoor sort of fair-type thing, celebrating the 60th anniversary of the end of WWII, (I can't remember what they call the day, but it was today.) That was a cool experience, although today was the hottest day since I've been here. They had a bunch of tents set up, each like a mini-museum with a theme like "a soldier's life" or "working on the home front." It wa samazing to see that sort of thing from the perspective of another country. I even got to hear talks from some men and women who actually did it all-- it was great.

I narrowly missed the parade that was associated with it, because I had to rush over to Westminster Abbey, where our group got to attend the evening service! It's called Evensong, probably because they sing almost the whole thing. They had delayed it, so we were there early and got to sit in the choir section near the choir. The singing was beautiful, to say nothing of the building. And I really don't know what I could say about the building-- it's just breathtaking! I've seen a million pictures of gothic cathedrals, but to actually be in it . . . and to think how long it's been there! wow.

So I think that brings me up to date-- now, here I am, sitting in the internet cafe (which is not a cafe) a block over from my dorm. It's down a spiral satircase from a little convenience store where you pay the little Indian man £1 for an hour of time on the computer. I've used up far too much tonight, so I'll go home now!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Ellen. I absolutely love to read of your adventures. I feel like I'm reading a romantic novel where the American girl goes on a holiday and meets the man of her dreams. That's probably not what your mom and dad want to hear, but it all sounds so like a movie. I hope you soak in every moment and take lots of pictures and remember it forever.
I love you,
Aunt Becky

4:47:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home